Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Noah's Birthday Story....

Hi everyone! Most of you already know due to word of mouth or facebook but Noah Matthew entered our world this past Thursday, October 22, 2009! We were so excited to meet our newest addition! We had a planned c-section set for 7:30 in the morning- meaning we had to be at the hospital by 6:00! What an early morning for this stay at home mom! My sister, being the awesome aunt that she is, spent the night at our house the night before so she could be here with Davis and take him to his MMO program in the morning. I wavered on whether he should be at the hospital at the time of birth but we finally decided that we wanted him to be able to stick to his normal routine as much as possible. In the end- it was the right choice for our family!

So once we got to the hospital they took us back to the pre-op room where they started my IV- not one of the better experiences with that! Apparently my veins were “running” from the nurse. She kept giving me a play-by-play as she dug the needle in my arm and I kept trying to ignore her commentary. Ummm I can feel it- I don’t need to hear it as well! After the port was finally placed the antheshiologist came in to talk. I was really nervous about this (though my epidural was wonderful last time- it’s just the idea of it all that bothers me) and he set my mind at ease.. well as much as someone could right before the stick a needle in your spine! Next they wheeled me into the surgical room, administered the spinal tap and before I knew it we were getting started! I must admit I was a little bit alarmed because I could feel much more than I felt when I had Davis! This has something to do with a spinal tap verses a traditional epidural with a continuous drip (which is what I had with Davis, my emergency c-section)! I was amazed at the amount of tugging and pressure I could feel this time- though it didn’t hurt at all! But you can imagine my alarm initially!
So to the tune of some bad 80’s music (which ironically Davis was also born to 80’s music as well) and the repetition of me just repeating in my mind for God to be near to our growing family, precious Noah Matthew Gorman entered this world at 7:46 AM! Before he was out I could hear the doctor and nurses talking about his full head of dark hair and soon I could hear a small cry! ! Music to any birthing momma’s ears!
However, the cry was short lived and I never even got a glimpse of the little guy (once again, this was different than last time). They instantly took him over to an area and began his apgar test! Matt who had been by my side the whole time looked down at me, and I told him to go- I was just fine! So he went and saw Noah and was briefly informed that he was having a little bit of hard time breathing. As I lay there I could only hear ever few words the neonatal doctor was telling Matt (which was so very frustrating- darn 80’s music)! However, I could tell there wasn’t panic behind the words just some concern.
Over the next few minutes Matt would come back and check on me while they “finished up on me” and debrief me about little Noah! At one point he brought me the footprints from our little boy. Instantly, I thought, “Whoa, those look like some big feet! He must be a big boy!” And for so long, I clinged to those little footprints hoping and praying that my big boy was doing ok!
The first sight I caught of Noah was when they weighed him. Sure enough he had a broad chest, a full head of dark hair, and looked to be a big boy considering he was birthed at 38 weeks, opposed to the typical 40 weeks! He was 8 lbs, 5 oz. and was 20.5 inches of pure love!
After that they wrapped him up, brought him over to me so I could see him cheek to cheek, and took him to the NICU with Matt in tow.
Lying on that table, all alone, with all the uncertainty of what was happening was a surreal feeling. I tried to pray but was stunned- once again, I found myself saying the only words that could come to mind “Lord, be near”. They finished up with me and wheeled me into recovery where I was informed that Matt would meet me. However, when I arrived he wasn’t there and little did I know but I had a good wait ahead of me. It seemed like forever before he showed up (no fault of his own- he was exactly where I wanted him- with our little / “big” boy)!

He finally came back and we were reunited. I was amazed at how calm & collected he was. His strength quickly encouraged own. More to come in the next post…

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Congratulations Shannon! I'm so glad all went well. He is so handsome! Thanks for sharing your story.